Taisei Buffet

Thursday, January 31, 2008

First Key: The Up Arrow

Today Taisei discovered the up arrow key on the keyboard. He's always liked to push buttons to pretend like he's us, but today he figured out that the up button can move web pages up and down. He was delighted with his discovery.

Can you believe I just blogged about our son discovering his first key on the keyboard? Yeah. We're "oyabaka" just like every other first parent. In case you don't speak Japanese, this is a word that doesn't exist in English, but should.
  • oya = parent
  • baka = idiot
So someone labeled "oya-baka" is basically a parent that thinks his/her child is "da bomb." Every little development needs to be announced to the world because it is amazing. An oyabaka parent's child is indisputably the cutest child in the world, not to mention smartest, fastest, and most coordinated.

It's ok to be oyabaka because otherwise, there's something wrong with you. I get a kick out of reading other people's blogs on their children. The oyabaka-ness doesn't bother me one bit. It's just another reminder of the wondrous love that miraculously develops in every parent. If you don't have a kid, you will know what this word means when you have your first. And equally important, you'll find that all those other oyabaka parents will no longer seem annoying anymore. Seeing that blind love actually becomes quite a thing of beauty.

5 comment(s):

I guess I'm a oyabaka then! Just right before I read this post I was sitting and thinking about Ailing and it just hit me that she actually figured out that big button means power, because she could easily turned on every electric stuff. I just thought that's so cool to realize that and I should record my discovery on our family blog so Ailing could one day know exactly when her mom realized how smart she was.
I just can't agree with you more on being proud parents who love their kids.

By Blogger Amber(怡文), at 2/03/2008 9:23 PM  

Haha! Yes, I was proud when Taisei figured out how to turn on the TVs too. Now, he even says "off" or "on" when he does it. You should blog it. I'm well aware of your "Oyabaka-ness" :) How can you not be - Ailing is SO CUTE!

By Blogger Jerin, at 2/04/2008 7:48 AM  

hello what happened to your other post about sleeping? did i just imagine its existence?

you guys are good for only letting taisei watch 15 minutes of nemo. i used to limit elias's viewing of nemo to the beginning part but i just would get so much stuff done that now i let him watch it until he gets bored. today was actually a day that he didn't ask to watch it. wow. it's been so long since that happened. i don't mind watching it, but the change was nice, too. we'll see how long it lasts. he also used to get scared with the barracuda but he has definitely been desensitized to it because he doesn't cling, jump, or even twitch during that part anymore. i think that's probably not a great sign, but oh well.

By Blogger Michelle, at 2/07/2008 5:34 PM  

Wow, shellars. You do still come by to visit. I only had the sleeping post up briefly, but since I couldn't get the video working, I got frustrated and removed it. I'll try again and see if it will be nice to me tonight.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/07/2008 9:04 PM  

Hey, I am glad you put everything he does on here. I am a pretty proud aunt. I think it is SO cool that he has figured out what the up arrow does.

Sometimes I just don't post some things Adele does because I don't want to brag too much! But I sure enjoy reading about it with my sibling's and friend's kids, so please keep doing it.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 2/26/2008 9:01 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home