Taisei Buffet

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Potty Log - Stardate 01.28.09

Taisei went cold turkey on daytime diapers. Since his first accident free day on Stardate 01.05.09, he has not had an accident. OK, I'll cut it out with the Star Trek nerdiness. I loved the original show. Anyway, no accidents for... what's that... 23 days now. Once he gained familiarity with the toilet, his previously acquired ability to "hold it" began to pay off.

On the other hand, he has begun to acquire the ability to "let go" as well. For the past couple of days, we knew he had been needing to go #2. We were tired of staying up late, waiting for him to go in his diapers. I made him go to bed instead of playing around for hours. I'll post about how we finally did that another time. We knew he wouldn't be able to hold it all day for many more days. Yesterday was one day beyond his customary every-other-day routine. We knew he had to go, so we kept encouraging him. He tried going on the kid's potty and on the real potty probably 4 or 5 times. He would try and then give up. Finally, I reminded him that he would get something special if he could do it. I never tell him what that is, so that I don't have to figure it out until I really have to figure it out. After I told him that, he sat and pushed and pushed. Success! He was quite happy about his success. And so far, I've found that once I bribe him to do something the first time, I don't have to bribe him again. I even tell him that the special treat is only for the first time. I gave him a bath toy (a hand-me-down toy from our neighbor) which was perfect for getting him into the bath, since he's been dodging the bath routine lately. Yesterday, he went to bed at his [relatively more] normal 9 pm last night. I'm seeing signs of our lives returning to normalcy! Hopefully from now on, he can have his successful #2s on the toilet every two days.

Update 01.28.09: Tonight, he came out of his room at 9:30 and then 9:50 reporting "mama, unchi shita." He went 2 in his diapers. :( We didn't expect that he would have to go the next day. Looks like we still have work to do.

1 comment(s):

Hey that's smart - bribery for the "first time" only. We were stuck on potty treats for a LONG time.

By Blogger Aaron and Emily, at 1/28/2009 8:35 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home